Mama's Blessed : How To: Save Money On Bills

How To: Save Money On Bills

Friday, October 31, 2014

I am taking over the Blog Baton on Instagram today! Head over & follow them & keep up with me today! Happy Halloween!

I recently did a guest post for Amanda at Keeping Up With The Haneys about couponing [ read here], & it got me thinking about all the ways that I have been trying to save money for my little family. We have cut back on our monthly bills & I knew I would definitely want to share! This is more of how we have saved money on our monthly bills, because not everyone will be able to do the same we have. But this could at least give you ideas on how you can cut back on your bills.


+ Cell phones- We switched over from having contracted phones at about $200 a month for 2 phones & hardly had service, to prepaid/no contract phones at about $90 for two. We did downgrade phone wise which sucks because I was in love with my Iphone 5c! :(

 + Vehicle payments- We were a two vehicle family with 2 payments, after getting pregnant & me cutting my hours at work from full time pretty much to hardly nothing, 2 payments was not going to work! So we decided for the time being we are going to be a 1 vehicle family. It sucks some times, but we are saving a chunk of cash monthly.

+ Car insurance- Downgrading to one vehicle means dropping it from your insurance. For us that is $100 saved a month on insurance alone!

+ Cable- We do have cable & internet. We love it, we have Att Uverse. Best service ever! But paying almost $200 for just those two things seems a bit crazy. At this moment we are stuck between canceling the cable or contacting the company & seeing if there are any promotions or deals to drop our monthly bill some. We have to keep the internet of course, & Netflix too.

+ Electric/water/gas- The utility side of the monthly bills is something I am trying to figure out. try to use less, not leaving things on, running, or plugged in. I turn off lights & electronics if not in use. I also unplug a lot of things at night. Using less water would mean not running it long while showering and such. & Maybe cutting back on laundry loads?

Do you have any money saving tips for monthly bills? I would love to hear them! 

[ I have recently started working on a new finance binder, see old one here. I would love to share when complete if anyone would be interested in seeing a post like that! ]  

..........................................................................................................................

8 Twitter mentions in a week for $1.50! Sponsor Page

15 comments:

  1. To cut our monthly cable bill, we invested in AppleTV and use it to stream all of our shows from Hulu. We cut our bill from $135 to $55 (we still pay for Internet and the basic channels in case of bad weather)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We saved a lot on gas and electric bills by not having air-conditioning and only heating the house to 60 in the winter (we lived in the north USA, so air-conditioning wasn't a big deal, but those were long, cold, winters!) It really kept those utility bills low, though! Our bills shrunk like crazy after we moved to China, which is obviously not the answer for the vast majority of cases, but we're benefiting from it now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome ideas! We switched from cable to DIRECTV and are actually saving money. Both of our cars are months away from being paid off (thankfully!). One thing we really need to do is get a grocery budget. We spend way too much for two people!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We use AppleTV to stream our favorite shows from Netflix and Hulu and that saves a ton! We also have a family share plan with my husband's parents so we save on phone service, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! We have netflix and no cable so that saves a ton. Plus my husband is able to use his work car for personal use so that saves a ton as well. It's hard downgrading phones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a good chunk of money cut! Awesome. I will have to look up the AppleTV.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! So jealous, I would love to visit China & def Japan! We usually have the ac running continually since we are in GA & live in a tri level house. It is hard to get cool are circulating in here. It is always so hot upstairs! "/ but now that we have this fall weather we have it cut off & have not turned on the heat yet. So there will me at least one decent electric bill :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is great that they are almost paid off, no need to downgrade to one vehicle then! :P & we are the same, we spend so much on groceries so I try to coupon as much as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keith & I had a fam plan but it still was close to $200 a month. So not worth it. So we have no contract verizon wireless phones.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm, that makes me wonder if my hubs can get a work vehicle!? Doubt it :( Yes I went from a iphone 5c to a moto g. Which the moto g is better than my hubs sad little lg optimus! Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely cut the cable! You can buy Hulu & Amazon prime and those + Netflix is still cheaper than cable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We did have hulu plus & I liked it a lot. If I cut cable will I be able to keep up with current shows on Hulu?

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have Netflix and Hulu and are perfectly happy with those. We have Charter internet for $30 a month. We don't have iPhones either ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Every body seems to be doing just fine without cable! We just need to get rid of it! :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. If you get Hulu plus I think it's the next day!

    ReplyDelete

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)