Mama's Blessed : Cloth vs Disposables - A Mama's Choice w/ Melissa

Cloth vs Disposables - A Mama's Choice w/ Melissa

Thursday, April 9, 2015

I'm so excited for today, y'all! Melissa & I have teamed up to bring you what could be a fun debate for blog land! Given that we're both Mama's to kids around the same age this topic was - what we felt like - perfect. Especially that the Mamas Tell All linkup is back up and running!
These are 100% our opinions, and we're in no way judging anyone for their choices. This is just simply what we like!

Why Ashley Prefers Cloth:

|| Money. Cloth diapering saves money.. depending on how you prefer to cloth it could save you a huge chunk! Disposables cost on average $800 a YEAR. With my older child I clothed her with a handful of cheap diapers. I spent MAYBE $150 & those diapers I still have to use on my second child when I am ready. That is a lot of cash in my pocket for other things.


|| Fluff Butt. Not only does a cloth diaper make a baby butt look super adorable it is also SAFER! Disposable diapers contain a cancer causing chemical - Dioxin.  Also, rashes happen LESS when clothed!


|| Reuse. Cloth diapers can be washed [ washing & stuffing of cloth diapers can be FUN ]  and reused for years. They can be passed on from child to child. Meaning less disposable diapers sent to the land fills. Sposies are the 3rd top things/trash that take up space in the land fills. & it takes hundreds of years for them to decompose. YUCK!



Why Melissa Prefers Disposables:

|| Convenience. Y'all, laundry has never been a favorite activity. The knowledge that there wasn't a need to wash something every single day sold me from day one. Also, y'all may not know this if you don't have kids but newborn poops are gross! I was not about that life when it came to having to wash THOSE diapers! Also, I wasn't changing as many diapers since disposables hold more pee! win-win in my book.
I have never been caught using one of these though!!
|| My Little Brothers. YES. This is a reason. You see, my mom cloth diapered my little brothers. This year my little brothers turn 10 and 12, so when they were in diapers the cloth ones available were NOT as fancy as they are now. So of course, seeing my mom go through the whole process of having to figure out how to fold the diapers, and pin them seriously turned me off to ever wanting to cloth ever.
Seriously. Who wants to figure this out? *source*

|| Leaks. No need to worry here. This goes back to the convenience thing too I suppose. Newborns are already up a million times a night as it is. In my "new mom" way of thinking, I didn't want to have to change bed sheets because of leaks in the middle of the night. I've been lucky with both kids that so far the only time we've had to change sheets in the middle of the night because of "leaks" is during potty training. That's a whole other story all together!
Ainsley is quite happy in her bed!
So where do you fall in the "great debate"? Are you pro cloth or pro disposables? We'd love to hear what you have to say!

26 comments:

  1. I use cloth diapers but disposable wipes because I find they clean babies bottom more thoroughly. What do you use for wipes Ashley?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went disposable with my first but will do cloth for my second. I'm becoming more mindful to the world I'm leaving my children. I'm even using reusable menstrual products. Why make more trash when you don't need to?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have gone back and forth on this. I'm known for being a little hippy dippy so I always thought I would cloth, but after changing cloth diapers of friends children/kids I nanny- it's pretty gross hahaha. The thought of carrying dirty diapers around with me freaks me out. In the long run, I'll probably do cloth diapering but then have disposables handy for things like road trips or long days out in case leaks, etc. happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baby rags and also some cloth baby wipes that were made by a friend I have that had her own cloth diaper cleaning service. You can also buy them online/etsy. I used a spray bottle w/ water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have used disposables off and on w Kenzie and mostly with Mina and I HATE it. It is so costly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha, yeah I think sposies can be equally gross! I have cloth and disposable. I used both on Kenzie and at the moment I have only clothed Mina a little bit. I will start cding her more in a few months. SO worth the try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so want to try mama pads! How you like doing that? I am bfing right now so I do not have to worry w all that yet! I hate diaper trash!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the pads and the menstrual cups (I use sckoon) are AMAZING. You only have to dump it every 12 hours and it never leaks. I haven't bought tampons or pads in years, I just keep my cup/a cloth pad in my purse.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We do cloth, and it's been the best decision. Saved SO much money and they're better for Abbie's sensitive skin. My MIL just replaced the leg elastics in ours too so we can get even more use out of them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We've done both routes. I planned on cloth for our first, but then she came 10 weeks early and caught us way off guard, so Seventh Gen it was. With our second, I was ready and we did cloth for about a year, then sort of switched to cloth sometimes, disposable more and more. I would add one essential to cloth diapering (or just having kids period) a toilet sprayer attachment/bidet like this (or others) http://www.amazon.com/Aquaus-Handheld-Bidet-Toilet-Certified/dp/B008F0FL5G/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1428597386&sr=8-5&keywords=toilet+sprayer+attachment It made all the difference for me (and still comes in really handy for kid messes/accidents). Cloth saves a ton of money, but disposable are so convenient when out of the house. I liked having both around. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have no kids but it is so interesting to see what people think. I have no idea what I would use. I do love the convince of disposables. Whenever I've babysat it's always been disposables so I would have no idea what to do with cloth.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't have kids yet but eventually I will. In my head right now I would like to do cloth. Disposable seems yes more convenient, but sooo much money and harm! I'm also kind of a control freak so knowing that the cloth diapers are being washed and how they're being washed instead of buying disposables not knowing if they're going to harm your child turns me on way more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. AMEN! When I stopped clothing my first for a while I was spending money left and right.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thought about a sprayer but never did w my first. & we also went back and forth between cloth and disposable. I had a leaking and stink issue w her diapers.. My wash routine was wrong.. I was not rinsing them enough and I was using the wrong detergent. Which is one reason we went back and forth. Right now with my 2nd I am using both only because we are packing and moving. So stuff is a little chaotic right now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Try both. You can always borrow, rent, or buy ( and resale if you hate ) cloth diapers. But def research the types. There are different cd's to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You should totally give it a try! MOST the time I found diaper laundry fun. You can save tons, but be careful bc buying cute new cloth diapers can get you in trouble! It can turn into an obsession! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am nervous about the cups. I am not going into all the details why on here ha! BUT i really do want to give that and the pads a try! Once I need them again of course. The pads did you order on Etsy?

    ReplyDelete
  18. My first set I did, now I sew them myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm with Mel. I hate laundry, and I clean up old people diapers all day, so the easier a baby's diaper is, the better.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would have loved to cloth diaper, but I didn't really know much about it. I like disposable because....Target always has a gift card deal when you buy two packs. :X

    ReplyDelete
  21. Target is amazing. Mine used to sell cloth diapers! Charlie Banana & Gdiapers! I googled and youtubed everything. & plus I had someone to ask, my friend clothed her daughter and had her own cloth diaper cleaning service.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ahh you were lucky! I think I would be more likely to do it if I have any additional children!

    ReplyDelete
  23. :) google & youtube can be your best friends when it comes to learning about cloth.

    ReplyDelete

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)