Mama's Blessed : 7 Simple Ways to Teach A Toddler

7 Simple Ways to Teach A Toddler

Thursday, July 9, 2015




+ Flash cards. I bought a pack of letter ones a month ago at Target. We all know Target has the best stuff ever! One side is the letter & the other side is something that starts with that letter. She has the animals and things down but we are still working on the letter part! The other day I covered the turtle on the card and asked her what the card said at the bottom. She said turtle..... :)

+ ABC Mouse.com I LOVE this website. & it is only $9.99 a month. Worth the money! It starts at the toddler stage on up. I think the highest learning  5th grade or middle school. There are so many things to do and learn on this website! There are songs, games, reading, coloring and more. There are also all the subjects needed to learn. Color, numbers, all the way to geography! My daughter really enjoys it. She thinks she is just playing games but she is actually learning as she plays.

+ Handwriting worksheets. These have been a go to for ever! I remember doing these in school. You can find them anywhere. The child has to write the letter that is on the page.. over & over. Practice makes perfect! I actually created some of my own and offer them in my Etsy shop [ find them HERE ]. Instead of buying more when your child writes on them and is done, if you purchase them from my shop, it is actually a digital download so all you have to do is print more when needed! My toddler was the first to try them out. Toddler approved! :)



+ Reading books. This is one of the best and easiest ways to get a toddler thinking and learning. Reading to your toddler is fun for you both. I enjoy letting mine take the book over and read to me. Of course at this point she is just making up what she wants the book to be about. But even so, she is letting her imagination run wild. My first book I learned to read was the Dr Suess book The Foot Book. It was read to me A LOT & it was the book that I was taught to read words and letters. 

+ Educational apps. Not only are these perfect for learning, they also distract your toddler when needed. Doctors office, shopping, whatever! There are tons to choose from. What I like to do is just randomly download one let her play with it and whenever she gets tired of it, I just delete and download another. Learning ABCS, numbers, colors, and animals is super easy with these apps. Most of them are FREE too.

+ Counting. I like to count for my toddler any chance I get. We count the number of steps we go up and down. The amount of snacks in her bowl. Not to mention she knows when I count to 3 she better behave! Ha. 

+ Mama's Helper. Get your toddler helping with your every day duties. Cooking, cleaning, laundry. All of it! My toddler LOVES helping with laundry. She helps put the clothes in the washer, dryer, and then when they are done she will grab a handful and run throw them on my bed! She finds it entertaining and she feels like a big girl. But that is teaching her responsibility! 
What are some of your teaching tricks for your toddler?

20 comments:

  1. Great tips. My toddler surprised me when I used flash cards. She started lining them up and telling stories. I let her go and stopped drilling for skills. Her imagination was the greatest teacher. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flash cards can do no wrong! That's how I learned all growing up! (and still do!) Great advice mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ABCMouse is a site I can definitely approve of. I got that for Rylan and he loved it and learned so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh!! This is helpful! I've done very little work with children under 5, but I love your tips-- saving for the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really good ideas! Especially for them to be helpers! I do a lot of childcare, and oftentime we're working on letters and numbers with the little ones--but I also do things like draw a chair up to the kitchen sink and have them help me wash the bok choy for lunch. It's good to get kids involved with the little tasks of life early on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great ideas. We love reading, and we count everything too. Someone also suggested turning on the closed caption on the TV when their shows are on to incorporate reading? Sounded interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tips! I definitely don't need to be using them now but I'll be sure to save this post for later :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are awesome tips! I am sending to my sister for my two-year-old niece. She's smart as a tack and know she'd enjoy all of these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're homeschooling right now. Our oldest will start 1st grade soon, and the 3 year old will be doing preschool stuff. These are great---I am afraid of forgetting to do things with her from focusing too much on 1st grade stuff---so I appreciate the simplicity of all these ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is amazing how much they can actually learn when you are never even trying to teach them anything!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, yeah I have used flash cards plenty in my life time, so far! :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is fun, and educational! I even enjoy playing on it with her. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some of these tips can be used on older kids as well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree! My toddler loves to come watch/help when I am cooking. & if she sees I am cleaning, she will ask for a rag and she will go wipe her toy kitchen and toys off! Great for later! :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never thought about that. I will have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. :) yup, wont hurt to save for later! :P

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awe, well I hope she finds them handy! Kenzie is crazy smart to. She def talks like a teenager. Sometimes I wish she didnt lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for stopping by! When the time comes they will be here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thats awesome! You should definitely look in to abc mouse!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Another great site is starfall.com. Jayden loves it! It is my favorite site. I wish you would move closer so Kenzie and Jayden could play in learning room together every day.

    ReplyDelete

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)